Monday, June 15, 2009

An Introduction

My original idea for this blog post was to discuss the GIFT theory first proposed by Penny Arcade, and relate it to my desire to write this blog under my own name. I wrote the first paragraph, thought about it for a few days, and decided it was pretentious and self-serving; almost as much so as using the words “pretentious” or “self-serving,” or using semi-colons in a sentence. So I won’t be doing that. Instead, I’m going to introduce myself straight-up.


My name’s Grady Phillips.


This is what I look like:


Not the best picture, perhaps, but just the right mix of badassery and drunk-looking fat guy that you have an idea of who you’re dealing with. Note that when I represent myself on internet forums, I use this picture:


A little dishonest, I guess, but it showcases my artistic talent, limited though it may be. People ask where the picture came from, and that gives me an excuse to talk up my webcomic, which is my pride and joy in the creative sense. Speaking of which:


Moron County


You probably found this blog through it, but if not, go check it out. I’ll wait.


And that’s about as much anonymity as I’m giving up. This is the internet, after all. I’m not stupid.


I’m starting this blog because it’s something I wanted to do for a long time. Realistically, I’ve always been a writer first and an artist second, and while I’m trying every day to improve my artistic ability (as you can hopefully tell by seeing Moron County’s evolving style), I certainly don’t want my writing skill to stagnate. So that’s what this blog is for.


Every week, most likely Monday, I’ll try to put something new here. As a warning, I have many interests, so there’s no telling what any particular blog post will be about. Maybe I’ll talk shop about Moron County. Maybe I’ll discuss videogames (either a specific game, or a genre of games as a whole- I’ve got a slew of thoughts on the Japanese RPG genre that need discussing, that’s for sure). Maybe I’ll discuss other comics I read, or comics in general (lots of thoughts there too). Hell, maybe I’ll even post a short story or two. There’s really no telling until Monday.


And that’s about it. Keep reading the comic, and I’ll have something intelligent to write about next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment